Thursday, February 23, 2017

A review: Is Genesis History?

I am happy that I watched the movie Is Genesis History? Watching it has helped me strengthen my ability to have faith in God. This is the third significant time I went into an experience expecting to have my faith completely shaped away and instead found it more strengthened. I am, in a sometimes good way, a serious doubter of all things not proven. That’s great when it comes to sussing out scams not so great when it comes to giving control over my soul to complete faith in God.  I openly admit that.

I went to this movie expecting to see silly examples, or hysterical insistence, and no effort to prove it and came away with complete respect and admiration for the method used to raise doubt in anyone’s mind. At one point, one of the scientists, a geologist, is explaining how the current method of dating of the rocks is misconstrued and misunderstood by many scientist. It’s ironic that when I search the Internet – the scientist who still believe in the debunked method (in this movie) of dating rocks deny that the number of scientists who no longer give credence as “insignificant numbers” yet they do not produce names or numbers.

Much of the evidence is based on “the Flood”. At the beginning of the movie, the narrator stands in a deep canyon, with a small stream, and says science tells us that it took thousands of years for the stream to carve the canyon, and the plants to take up life there. And yet this is not true, the canyon was created as recently as the 1980’s, for those of you old enough to remember Mt. St. Helen’s eruption – this particular canyon was created by that volcanic occurrence. It’s a stunning way to start the movie.

Years, ago, I remember watching another movie about creation versus evolution. At that time I must not have paid enough attention because I was not fully convinced. But one of the things that stuck with me from that documentary was looking at the excavation of a bed of dinosaur fossils. All of the dinosaurs appeared to have died while swimming. These were not the sea faring dinosaurs. In Is Genesis History movie, they showed plenty of evidence to give even the most hard core evolutionist reason to doubt. The type of fossils found, the arrangement of the fossils, the locations, and the amount. After this segment of the movie, if you don’t doubt, then you were not listening. The key again is the great Flood. In the Grand Canyon, the lowest layer with the great unconformity, the various layers with the sea animals, and dinosaurs, the measureable ocean waves, and through it all the impossibility of each layer just randomly forming with all the fossils. Evolutionist would have us believe that it was just random. The geologist that explained in this movie, discussed how the sizes of the layers formed and under what conditions. These were not random conclusions – the evidence he presented was overwhelming.

A conversation with a biologist brought up something that has always had me doubting evolution. That is how could every living thing in its complexity evolve from the same cell? It’s like putting a bunch of code words in a computer and expecting the words to just randomly organize itself in this complex artificial intelligence; cannot be done. The amount of time it would take for a sea animal to develop appropriate lungs to live on land – is preposterous enough to give doubt as to why would the animal keep trying? And how is it possible the animal survived during transition? Sure, there have been evolutionary changes in each genus or species but the dramatic changes suggested by Darwin and evolution would suggest finding the missing link in all the various classes or kingdoms. Not only has the missing link never been found for humans there are none for any of the other classes. Not popularly talked about is that Darwin was proven by modern scientist to be wrong on much of his theories. He was right about many things but not in how we evolve. I had learned that myself when taking anthropology classes.

The astronomy portion of the movie was not as heavy hitting as the geological, biological, and anthropological sections but it didn’t support the evolution theory either.

Overall, this was presented as a documentary and not a movie, so I’m sure some people were disappointed. But I, for one, thought it was worth every penny because of the calm, factual presentation they used to show that creation is much easier to believe than evolution. At the end they suggested going to the website for additional information. I agree. Don’t just take their word for it – do your own investigations. I signed up for a study guide and updates. I really want to learn more specific’s so I can have reasonable persuasive debates with evolutionist. It’s the first time I’ve been hard struck with the notion that maybe our children should be learning both sides of the story. After all, science proves over and over again, that science does change. J  And teaching our children that – it is important – to always seek knowledge from all sources – keep up-to-date and keep an open mind before you decide. For me, I no longer have doubts. God is my creator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment